Snuggling into a blanket with friends or a special loved one next to you, a lineup of movies and a carefree night ahead. How amazing does that sound? No matter your age, the “movie night” is the ultimate way to relax with friends on a weekend eve. One of the best parts about a movie night is the SNACKS! But what about keto dieters? Do you have to sit there with a cucumber stick and just make do? Absolutely not.
We’ve got you covered with a list of keto-friendly snack ideas for lazy nights in front of the TV with your favorite people.
We’ve added a few recipes for you to draw from, but remember to track the macros with any additions or changes in quantities you may choose to make.
Yes, I know, veggie sticks don’t sound very inspiring. But, they are crucial for dipping into tasty, decadent dips. Slice up cucumber, celery and bell pepper and lay on a platter. The refreshing crunch and high water content of these veggies will keep you feeling fresh and nourished amongst the rest of the treats.
Nacho bowls…without the chips. To me, the best part about nachos is the meat, guac, cheese and sour cream. Use your trusty veggie sticks to scoop up the goodness, or simply go in with a spoon.
Nacho Recipe: (serves areound 4 people)
- Drizzle the olive oil into a saute pan or deep-sided frying pan and place over a medium-high heat
- Add the beef, garlic, paprika, cumin, chili, salt and pepper and stir as the beef becomes nice and brown
- Add the fresh tomatoes and stir into the beef mixture, turn the heat down and allow it to simmer gently as you prep the guac (recipe below), stir every couple of minutes just to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. Add water if the mixture is looking a lil dry
- Serve the beef mixture with the cheese on top (put it under the broiler to melt, if you like!), and the sour cream, guacamole and cilantro generously sprinkled over the top
- Use your chopped keto veggies to scoop the nacho mix, or use a spoon and go nuts
Apart from being THE tastiest dip in the world, guacamole is keto-friendly and a great way to harness the goodness of avocados. Avocados are full of healthy, skin-loving fats and are low in net carbs, meaning there’s lots of fiber. I know I don’t need to tell you how to make guacamole, as everyone has their own preference for making guac. But here’s my recipe just in case you need some inspiration.
Guacamole recipe : (serves areound 4 people)
- Mash the avocados with a fork, or finely chop them if you prefer a more “bitsy” guac
- Add the sour cream, chili, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper, stir and taste. Add more of any ingredient to balance out the flavors
- Eat right away or chill, covered until needed
Why not get a little fancy on your movie night? If you’re craving something rich, salty, creamy and savory then make these salmon rolls. Smoked salmon has an old-school luxury glam to it and is especially tasty when combined with cream cheese. These salmon rolls are super low carb, high fat and easy to snack on with your fingers.
Salmon roll recipe (serves around 4 people)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs until combined
- Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil spray
- Once the pan is hot, pour some of the beaten egg onto the pan and cook on both sides to create a thin pancake or omelet. Repeat until you have about 4 omelets, leave to cool
- Give the cream cheese a good stir to get it to a spreadable consistency and spread over each of the egg pancakes
- Layer the salmon and cucumber slices over the cream cheese and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Roll the filled omelets like a burrito and slice like sushi!
- Serve on a big platter and eat with your fingers (again, like sushi)
Seaweed chips are salty, savory and crispy…just like the forbidden potato chips. They’re great to have on the snack table as a light and satisfying addition to graze on for a hit of salty goodness. Just be careful that you don’t select a brand which adds lots of flavors as that can really hike up the carb count. Plain, salted seaweed chips are the best bet. In a pinch, you can cut up nori sheets and give them a quick fry on a dry frying pan with a sprinkle of salt.
Spiced pecan, chocolate and berry shards
Right, we need something sweet, of course! We can’t chow down on candy, milk chocolate or ice cream…which is actually a blessing in disguise as it seems like a good idea until you feel sick. A great way to add a little sweetness to your keto snack table is to use berries and dark chocolate…as long as the dark chocolate is at least 70% cocoa. Keep the pecans to a minimum and you’ll have a completely keto-safe sweet treat to nibble on.
Spiced pecan, choc and berry shard recipe (serves about 5)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside
- Roughly chop the pecans and place into a dry frying pan over a low heat, add the coconut oil and toss to coat the pecans
- Add the cinnamon, salt and stevia to the pan and toss to coat the pecans as they gently toast
- Place the chocolate over a double boiler and gently melt until smooth
- Spread the chocolate out onto the prepared baking tray and sprinkle the nuts (with all of the flavorings too) and the berries over top, gently pressing down to make sure they’re lodged into the chocolate
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pop into the fridge to set
- Roughly break the chocolate up into shards and place on a plate to serve
- Keep in the fridge when not needed, to keep them from melting
We hope this has given you a few new ideas and fresh inspo for your next keto laze-around-get-together! We all deserve a relaxing night on the couch every once in a while, to relax, regroup and simply enjoy the company of loved ones and a good movie (or trash TV marathon…shhh!). Have fun and happy treat-making!