I’m not usually one to get on board with the “deconstructed” food trend, but when it comes to keto, we have to get creative with certain dishes. I love the flavors of salmon and avocado sushi, but we obviously can’t have the rice. So…why not take all of the ingredients we are allowed to have, arrange them in a bowl and still call it sushi? Well… I should really say “inspired” by sushi. I have a confession, there’s barely any cooking involved in this recipe! It’s really just slicing, arranging and a tiny bit of toasting.
How to make:
- Pop your sliced cucumber into a small bowl and add the rice wine vinegar and salt, give it a little stir and set aside
- Heat a small frying pan over a low heat
- Add your nori sheets to the hot pan and toast on both sides for only a few seconds until crispy
- Slice your salmon filets into slices around ¼ of an inch thick
- Lay your salmon and avocado slices around one side of each serving bowl
- Place a small pile of pickled cucumber into the bowl
- Add a dollop of Japanese mayo next to the salmon and avocado, and finish off by placing the toasted nori squares in the centre of the dish
- Drizzle the tamari soy sauce over the salmon before serving as a lunch or really light dinner
- It’s that easy!